Site Updated: October 6, 2019
About West Clinton Fire District
West Clinton Fire District is 100% Volunteer and services 26 square miles in Clinton and part of Hyde Park, New York.
Interested in Joining?
Visit us any Monday Night
Our Station #1 is located at 219 Hollow Road, Our Station #2 is located at 6 Long Pond Road
West Clinton Fire District History
The first meeting of the District officers was at the town clerk’s office on July 26, 1945. Officers were Philip Cookingham, Harry Baker, Ray Duck, Chauncey Hall, Howard Morris, Secretary Henry Traver. On December 4, 1945 the first District election was held and the same Commissioners were elected. In addition, Henry Traver was elected Treasurer. At a meeting December 14th, a motion was passed by the Commissioners that a fire company be formed. During January of 1946 the old schoolhouse was obtained for fire company use and at about the same time the Chevy which is still in use was ordered. (Unsure what date this was written). East Clinton loaned us a siren. The first fire company meeting was held on February 6, 1946 to form a company. The first president was Philetus Burger and our first Chief was Albert Woodin. Thereafter, extensive repairs were made at the schoolhouse and about May 1, 1946 the Chevy truck was obtained from Army Surplus at a cost of about $800.00. The West Clinton Fire Department was now in business. Our first parade was at Hyde Park on September 7, 1946 and a trophy was received as youngest company in line of march. Don Cookingham was elected Fire Chief April 4, 1947 and continued as Chief until 1962. The private line for fire calls was installed in July 1950 and alarms were handled by Eleanor Coons. Discussion started in May 1953 on building a new fire house and also in that year the company was incorporated. In 1955 the present site was purchased. Construction was started and the first meeting in the new house was held on January 2, 1956. As all possible labor after construction of floor and walls was done by company members, the cost to the district was greatly reduced. At the meeting held October 1, 1956 a motion to permit women members was passed. As alarm operators, Katherine Van Vliet, Carol Cookingham, Eleanor Coons and Grace Barker became members at that time. On February 17, 1960 the Board of Commissioners approved a bond issue of $20,000.00 for a new truck. The purchase of the new Ford was approved on April 4, 1960. William Dingee was elected Chief in 1962. In 1964 a ten foot strip was added to the west of the firehouse lot. Hanford Hanaburg was elected Chief in 1967. In May of 1968 there was some discussion of a fire station being built in the Schultzville area. Our present alarm system was installed in the spring of 1970. The Rescue Squad was started in June of 1970 and after a very successful fund drive, the ambulance was purchased. In August of 1970 plans were made for an addition to the firehouse and the project has been carried to near completion. In 1971 the district acquired the site of the new firehouse.